Friday, June 25, 2010

Routine Friday

I had a nice discussion about exercise & fitness that included a discussion about workout times with the head football coach of a large California High School today.  He likes to do his workout later in the day.  I like to do mine early in the morning.   The key question was why.  The answer was in two parts.  1st,  there are fewer (rarely any) interruptions early in the morning.  2nd, fewer interruptions means it's easier to keep to my routine.

I love routines.  It's routines that keep me from missing workouts.  Routines keep me from having to decide whether I'm going to something that needs to be done.  Routines make me more efficient.  Routines take away excuses.

My summertime Friday morning routine goes like this:


  • Get up 6am 
  • Bathroom visit
  • Light breakfast (mixed berries, Activia Light, & FiberOne)
  • 45 minutes for e-mail catch-up, read the paper, back to the bathroom.
  • Warm-ups and then intense resistance training workout for 90 minutes.  (following a routine that changes about every 6 weeks)
  • Shower & dress
  • Big breakfast (4 egg scramble with veggies and tofu)
Now I'm ready for my day.  I'm in high gear.  I'm feeling great.

I don't think about it.  I just do it.  Are there days that my enthusiasm is not quite as high?  Sure.  That's why I love routines.  There are no options.  Invariably I get feeling better as I go.  I'm always glad I did it when I'm done.  I feel the pump when I'm showering and I feel good about myself.  I get dressed and the clothes fit.  The right size clothes:  30 inch waist.  No need for a baggy shirt to cover up a big gut.  

Fitness is its own reward.  My routine gives me that.   It works so well that when ski season starts this winter, I'll get up at 4:30 to do it.  

Routines:  powerful






No comments:

Post a Comment