Sunday, June 27, 2010

Milestones & Heavy Breathing

I don't usually run 2 days in a row.  Being on the road presents its challenges.  Unable ride my bike I decided to go for a short run just to satisfy my need to exercise.   While deciding, I added up my mileage since I've been out of town and realized that I was very close to 100 miles for the last 15 days.  That was the clincher.

I was at 93.5 miles since my arrival and 6.5 (you can see where this is leading) miles puts me at 100!  So, I mapped out a 7 miler (always a little extra) and headed out the door.

Sunday's are nice because of the lighter traffic here in California. I was clipping along pretty nicely just before my turnaround when a runner went racing by me going the other way.  It got me thinking about my post yesterday and my thoughts on breathing hard.   I really hadn't done much really fast running that pushed my breathing for a while.  Since I was going only 7 miles and already half-way through that I figured it was time for some speed work.  The runner who had passed me was still in sight so I thought I'd see if I could make up some ground or at least keep him in sight (he was going fast!).

I shifted into high gear and turned on the afterburners.  He was going too fast.... for him not me.  He ran out of gas (I think) and I caught him rather quickly.  Maybe he was just running a short distance.  I don't want to create an impression of superiority.  He didn't know I was trying to catch him.

I had momentum and I wanted to keep it.   I pushed to the end and got some good speed work in.  A great workout really.  All because of a milestone.   Another good reason to keep track of mileage.   I'll rest the legs tomorrow and be ready for a nice long run on Tuesday.   Training is progressing nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment