Thursday, June 17, 2010

Marathon Training - Building Mileage

It has been nice & cool every morning this week for my runs.  It's a good thing, too, because I could feel the extra miles today.  I can still feel it.  It's a necessary part of training.  I know I have to build my mileage.  My body has to get accustomed to longer runs and get tougher.  More important than that, for me, is the mental toughness.  I know can endure as well as almost anyone.  I have pushed myself right to the brink on several occasions.  But, I have always achieved that level of tolerance through training.  

Mental and physical toughness are both essential.  Running negative splits puts me the right place when I'm finishing.   I'm really tired and I'm visualizing finishing the race in that condition and pushing right to end.

My 12 miles this morning was my 3rd 12 miler this week.  I haven't done that for a while and it's very satisfying.  The discomfort is almost comforting!   I have a long way to go to get ready but I'm right on schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment