Sunday, June 20, 2010

Coping & Attitude

Being on the road continues to present challenges.  Today, for me, it was a lesson about the importance of attitude and the importance learning to cope with adversity.

My usual routine is to run 3 days a week, do my resistance training 3 days a week and ride my bike for a couple of hours on the odd day, usually Sunday.   I had a great week running this week.  Resistance training has been less than optimal because I don't have my weights but I like taking a couple of weeks off a couple times a year to rest the muscles.  I really believe this helps, physically & mentally.   I felt really good yesterday and was planning my usual 2 day rest before hitting the road again.  But, when I got up this morning I was at a loss as to what to do.  I am so habitual about exercising when I get up (this is a really good thing!) it has become an essential part of my life.

So, I decided to go for an easy run; jogging really.   I thought it would burn some calories and satisfy my psychological needs.   Off I went figuring I'd be a bit sluggish after the high mileage week.

Sure enough, just as I planned, I was sluggish.  It was alright for awhile because jogging doesn't require much hard breathing.  But, it also didn't take too long to realize how much more work it is to just jog.  Too much up and down and not enough forward momentum.  In addition, there is no core or torso utilization which helps with speed without making the legs work any harder.   Most of all, the springiness I feel in my stride that comes from pushing off my toes isn't there.   In short, I don't like it.  Perhaps most of all  because it takes too much time!  But it's hard to change pace when you're feeling sluggish. Time for an attitude change.

It took me about 5 minutes of deliberate effort to get back into my 'real' running stride but, boy, was it worth it.  Nice finish.   5 extra miles.   A lesson in attitude.  A few hundred calories burned.

I'll do a resistance & stretching workout tomorrow.  I'll run on Tuesday after 2 days of leg rest.

I'm glad I ran today.

No comments:

Post a Comment