Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Ouch! Injured.

I woke up this morning after a good night's sleep.  I really felt much better than expected.  Oh sure, my feet are still blistered and quite sore.  They really didn't want to run.  My body, though was further along my recovery than I expected and was telling me that 6 miles would be nice.  So my plan was to compromise and run 4 miles.  

The weather was so very nice but warming fast so I headed out the door about 15 minutes early.  My enthusiasm was pretty high.   I could feel the residual fatigue but it wasn't terrible and I settled into a nice easy trot.  About a mile into the run, a nice young lady in a Jeep Liberty who was attempting to exit from the gas station, backed up her SUV so I could pass on the sidewalk.  That was such a nice (and unusual) gesture it took my enthusiasm up a notch and got me thinking 6 miles.  I was feeling pretty good.

At about 2 miles my course turns into a long serious hill and the run gets serious.  By the time I got to the top I was really warmed up.  I turned north to run with the wind and my legs kicked into my race stride.  I couldn't help it.  It just felt right.  Only good sense kept me from going 10 miles and I settled for an 8 miler.  I kept my race stride all the way to the end knowing that my feet would protest later.   It was so nice that I started visualizing my planned marathon set for October.

After a nice breakfast I went to the practice range and hit some balls came home and had my afternoon protein shake and was pretty excited about my upcoming golf match.  A great day.

My match got off to a good start with a birdie on the 1st hole.  I played reasonable well and won the match pretty easily but started having some pain in my right groin with 2 holes to go.  I just kept getting worse.  I had all I could do to finish and finished with  long putt to save bogey.  By the time I got home I could barely walk!

Dang.  I've taken an Advil and am now wondering what the near future holds.   I'll give it until Friday.  If it doesn't show any improvement I'll call the doc.   I have a golf tournament this weekend so I'm hoping for a reprieve here.   I'm not good at waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment