Saturday, June 26, 2010

Marathon Training - 13.5 miles, Again!

Another training day, another 13.5 mile training run.  Sound boring?  Sound like a lot of time alone with your thoughts?   Sound like a lot of time to be breathing hard?  Sound like a lot of pounding the pavement that might cause injury?  Sound like a lot of time in pain or suffering? Well, maybe.

Boring doesn't happen to me because I've learned to relax and let my mind wander. It's almost like daydreaming.  On long runs I sometimes lose track of the miles and then I'll sort of 'wake up' and realize I've gone several miles.   Fitness and a nice easy pace helps make this happen.  Thinking about how many more miles I have left to run will prevent it from happening.  On of the main reasons I like to run long runs is that it keeps me from thinking about finishing.  I just settle into a nice pace and think about something pleasant.  A lot of time alone with my thoughts has always suited me.  I like sightseeing and people watching.

Breathing hard isn't much of an issue because on long runs I don't push my aerobic capacity except for during interval training.  Another reason I like long runs.  Maybe I'm just lazy!


Pain & suffering isn't as much an issue as the unfamiliar might suspect.  Proper pacing is important.  Running the right distance helps as well.    The beginning of my runs are often a bit uncomfortable until I get into my rhythm.  15 - 20 minutes is usually enough.  Then I start to feel pretty good.   If I'm doing maintenance runs that's my usual practice: get comfy and enjoy.  If I'm training for a specific race as I am now then I plan on being pretty uncomfortable in order to build both the physical and mental aspects of  speed and endurance.

Pavement pounding might cause injury if you try to do too much too soon.  I make changes gradually. I take glucosamine just-in-case but I really think the body will get stronger if training is done properly.

 I do have aches and pains but they're pretty manageable.  Considering the miles I run it's not too bad.  It's all worth it for how good I feel about myself for what I've accomplished.   I've run nearly 100 miles in the last 2 weeks, so, I'm a tad sore today but I know by morning I'll be fine.   Besides, I alway have an Advil at my disposal if needed.  Not today.  I think a margarita is in the plan for the evening anyhow!  Can't mix the two.

Of course, the good really offsets the little discomforts:   my aches and pains remind me of what I have and can do that few others are willing or able to do.  I love being fit!

No comments:

Post a Comment