Friday, July 30, 2010

Marathon Training - Challenges

I've almost forgotten what normal is like.  It's been almost seven weeks since I've been able to follow my normal routine.  I traveled to & from California for 3 weeks.  We brought a grandchild with us when we returned and that was a month ago.  I've loved it all but it does present challenges when it comes to keeping routines and routines help me get my exercising done.

On top of that I've been dealing with a family member's health crisis for nearly 2 weeks.  This has included emergency room trips and hospital visits and at home crises.  I'm still working on this.
But, despite all, Wednesday I had a nice resistance workout.  Thursday (yesterday) was a totally different day.  With 2 visitors coming to 2 different airports, my exercise day was ruined.  I got up a 2:45 am (yes 2:45 am not a typo!) and drove to Boston and back with one arrivee.  My wife pick up the other.  I was back home at about 1pm.  Traffic and fog slowed us a bit.  I admit that exercise was possible when I returned but the reunion with loved ones and my fatigue convinced me to take a day off.  I don't take many.  I stayed up until nearly my usual bedtime so I was pretty tired.  On top of that I had a couple of adult beverages.  I didn't know how I was going to feel this morning.

I decided to alter my usual protocol.  Normally I do resistance training on Friday.  But, I decided to run.  The basement was in use as a bedroom and I really felt like a run was my best option.  The upcoming marathon takes precedent right now.   So I headed out the door tired but happy to feel the cool air.

The first couple of miles were a bit of a struggle but as usual my legs pulled me through.  After the 1st steep hill climb I started to feel better. By the time I got to about mile 8 I was as good as new (okay I exaggerate a bit LOL).   I crossed paths with a young woman who was obviously a training hard.  She had great form and her determination going uphill was inspiring (even if she was on the wrong side of the road).  I had to laugh at the 2 guys in the big truck who honked at her.   I mean,  did they really think she would be even remotely interested in 2 big overweight, scruffy-looking, middle-aged, need a bath, shave, and a haircut bums?  Get real!!

I finished my 12 miles feeling quite strong.  My confidence got a boost and I was, and still am, grateful for my two good legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment