Thursday, July 8, 2010

Motivation - The Why

I participated, briefly, in an online forum discussion about what motivates people to get out and on the road running.  There were lots of comments ranging from how they looked in the mirror & how their clothes fit to just a love of running.

 Of course, for me, it isn't just about running, it's also about resistance training and proper nutrition.   So why am I so passionate about these things?   What drives me to get up early (4:30 am in the winter) to run, bike, and/or do resistance training?

Well it started with hating how fat I was.  I also realized, one day, how out of shape I was.  So my initial motivation was pure vanity.  Is that so bad?  I don't think so because it really got me thinking and researching as well as exercising. I've learned a lot along the way.  I can't say my original motives have changed.  I am more passionate about being lean and in shape than ever.  However, my motives have grown in number.

I now realize, especially at my age, how important fitness & nutrition are to my health.  This is, of course. true for everyone.   My vanity, (at least regarding my physique) has not subsided.  I really like being muscular and fit looking.  But, now I think my biggest motive is, perhaps, a bit less selfish.  I really want to set a good example for my children and grandchildren.   After all,  if I don't take care of my self with proper nutrition and exercise, am I not still setting a (bad) example and giving them tacit permission to be neglectful also?   I think so.

The benefits of exercise and proper nutrition are many.  Finding a reason that motivates you enough to get out of bed and breathing hard is really important.     Every now and then someone I know has a heart attack, a stroke, or get diagnosed with diabetes or some other preventable issue.  That motivates me too.  But it also reminds me of the old maxim  'pay me now or pay me later'.    How many of them wish they had gotten up early and gone running.   How about those who never got the chance through no fault of their own and how much they would love the opportunity to run.  When I think of all these things, it's pretty easy to move my butt out of bed get it moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment