Sunday, July 18, 2010

Learning Experience - Humbling Day - Still Good

Stowe 8 miler today.   I made the mistake of paying too much attention to the all the starting line instructions.  There were no clear indicators of where to start in the pack.  All the focus was on the team competitors.  Instead of working my way  toward the front I started too far back in order not to offend.   Big mistake! I got boxed in and couldn't get out of the pack for a long time.  My 1st mile split was almost 11 minutes.    I don't know it officially but I forgot my watch today and had to ask a fellow competitor who told me 10:55.  And she was a couple of steps ahead of me at the time.    

It's my own fault.  After many, many races I ought to have learned.   To be perfectly honest, I had no chance of finishing 1st in my age group.  There were some 'real racers' in the pack.  However, with a better start I might've finished in the top 5 or 6.     Oh well, live & learn, I hope!

At least I was smart enough to make the best of a nice summer day.  We headed to Johnson, VT and put our canoe in the water and paddled down to Jeffersonville.  A two and a half hour easy paddle down a beautiful river on a warm summer day has a way of making everything seem better.  We weren't the only ones.  We came across a group of nice young women in kayaks who were having a grand day and later a couple who had pulled their canoe onto a sandbar and were picnicking.    A grand day altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment