Sunday, July 25, 2010

Marathon Training - Hard Day

I took yesterday off to participate in a golf tournament at the invitation of a friend. I thought it might do me some good.  Maybe it did but I couldn't tell by my run today.

My plan was to go 19 miles with my brother & training partner.  He's hurting and can't run (worries me).  So, undaunted, I headed out alone this morning.  It was a decent day that got better  (clouds & a nice breeze) as I went until about 13-14 miles when I started fading.  When I got to the turn for 19 miles instead of 17.5 I changed my plans.  I was feeling too low and dehydrated.  The 17.5 mile finish has a water stop.  It made a huge difference.  Next attempt at 19 will have to include a water drop before hand.   I could carry water but the prospect is not appealing to me.

I finished but I was tired and not feeling as well as I had 2 Sundays ago when we ran the same route.  I'm hoping  that staging a water stop will prevent a repeat.  The good news is I got a taste of how it's going to feel at the end of the marathon.   I'll have to have my head on straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment