Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Heat Run - Paying Attention To Signals

It was already in the mid 70s when I left the house for a planned 13 mile run.  I knew I was going suffer a bit but I need the mileage and I like to stick to my plan.  I've lived and run in Florida so it isn't like I didn't know what to expect.   I still got into trouble.

I think part of the problem is that in my effort to maximize my performance I've pushed my pain tolerance level too high.  About 7 miles into my run I got dizzy.  I was still sweating so I thought everything was still OK.  Anyway, I stopped for a couple of minutes and hunkered down until I recovered and then I restarted at a much slower pace. Fortunately, my course soon turned into the wind and it cooled me quite a bit.  I was careful not to push it and I started looking for an outside water faucet.  It took 3 miles but I found one, at the little league field.  That changed everything.  I splashed the cool water all over me and I could feel my core temperature drop.  I drank a bit and continued to run.

My run was shortened to 11.6 miles.  I actually felt 'not-too-bad' when I finished.  A cold shower brought me back to normal.  I could tell because I got hungry even after a lot of fluid replacement. I was, however, suprised at my time.  I was gone only an hour and 40 minutes.  Considering the 2 stops and the slow last 4 miles, I must have been running faster than I realized.

I've taken two lessons from today.  My pacing is coming right along.  That's the good news.  The bad news is I'm not paying enough attention to the signals I'm getting from my body or I'm too insensitive to them.    Something's got to give.  This is going to require some thinking.  Thursday's run is lurking.  It'll still be hot.  Slower for sure.   Maybe an earlier start.

No comments:

Post a Comment