Thursday, July 22, 2010

Marathon Training - Middles

Pretty good workout yesterday, but not great because I felt a bit worn out.  Just not a great day.  It happens.   Good run this morning due primarily to the really nice cool (relatively) weather.  I ran 12 miles at a moderate pace and it got me to thinking about this part of training.  I'm right  about in the middle of my training for the upcoming marathon.  It has been about 2.5 months since Vermont City where I ran half as part of a 2 person relay with my brother.  It was a really great day for us.  And now I'm about 2.5 months from the upcoming marathon in October.

It's a lot like the middle of a race.   The beginning of race (and training) is full of adrenalin.  The excitement of the moment is such that you actually have to hold back a bit so you don't give up too much too early.  The end of the race, on the other hand is filled with the excitement of finishing.  I liken it to the horse smelling the barn.  Somehow at the end a race, most people perk up a bit and find something extra to carry them to the finish.  Training is similar.  As race day gets close, your fitness is peaking and your excitement is building as you anticipate the big day.  But, the middle is, well, the middle.  The excitement of the start is over.  You're tired.  The end is still too far away to get excited about. In a race, often, there is no crowd support.   Training, too, is mundane.  All of your home support has grown accustomed to your training.  All there is to do is run.  This is when you have dig down and find that something that keeps you going.

For me, visualizing my race when I'm running helps.  Pep talks with my training partner really help. He inspires me with his great attitude and resolve.  And, of course, like a lot of people, recording my progress helps.  Writing this blog helps as well.  Especially when I hear from a reader.

So, I'm looking forward to getting closer and having the excitement build.  I'm hoping to remain injury free.  I'll be at 20 mile training runs soon and that's a milestone that will help.   Marathon training is tough, for me anyway, during the middles.

No comments:

Post a Comment