Thursday, July 8, 2010

A Lesson Learned

I very nearly didn't run this morning.  I got up at 5:20 am (overslept a bit) intending to start early.  Usually, I'm ready to go in about 45 minutes.  The temperature was already in the mid 70s by a little after 6 so I was reluctant.  I finally convinced myself to go slowly and be prepared to take a short-cut home if things didn't go well.  One very nice feature of my usual course is all the opportunities to truncate the run if the need arises.

So, I headed out the door at 6:30 (79 degrees now) with a slow deliberate pace intent on listening to my body.   I don't like running too slowly because it seems to take so long.  And, I was reluctant to get lost in my thoughts for fear of losing contact with how my body was doing but going slowly really kept me from getting too warm and I soon knew I was going to be okay.  I stopped a my newfound water stop and having added an extra block to my route early in the run managed to get in a nice 12 miler.

 I was amazed at how intense the sun was when I stopped.  I guess I was running just fast enough to get little breeze!  Another thing that helped, though, was that despite the warm temps the shadows from the trees were longer.  It really mad a difference.     I'm glad I ran.   12 miles, even slowly, has got to to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment