Saturday, July 3, 2010

Marathon Training - New Milestone

Things are moving right along!  I headed out the door at 7:35 a.m. intending to run 14 miles.  I plotted a new course out on http://beta.mapmyrun.com/ thinking 14 miles would be a nice run considering I might still be recovering from the travel day and all the mileage I had a accrued while in California.

I started out down hill for a ways which is a nice way to get warmed up. At 3.6 miles the course heads up hill for 6 miles with very few respites.  It isn't terribly steep except for a couple of short steep hills, but, the total climb is 336 feet.   About half way up the hill, 7 miles into the run, I decided to add a couple of extensions and lengthen the run.  I remeasured the course at 15.5 miles when I got home.   Not too bad!

What I really like about the decision is that I felt good enough at 7 miles to extend the run.   It's a good sign.  With a couple of exceptions it's mostly down hill & flat after the high point so I felt quite good right to the finish.  Right now my feet and quads are reminding that I worked pretty hard.  I don't mind it a bit because I don't feel especially fatigued overall.  That's a really positive sign.  

So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment