Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Runner's 'Theory of Relativity'

Got up early this morning to run.  I've figured that out!  Hot days = early starts.   It was actually pretty nice with the breeze.  Another thing about early starts is traffic.   There is less of it and the drivers tend to be better.  Maybe they're not running late or early people are nicer.  That could be it!   I feel safe almost anywhere at 6 a.m. but lots of places scare me at 10 p.m.

Anyway, it was a comfy run.  There was no residual fatigue from my busy day yesterday.  I thought walking 18 holes and climbing a mountain might make my run a bit of a struggle.  I ran 12 miles and it felt good.  So I have new 'Theory of Relativity' for running.  If you want a 12 mile run to seem easy,  run 17.5 miles a couple of day before.  Worked for me.

It is interesting how a 10 mile run ofttimes seems easier than a short run.  With a long run I'm not thinking about finishing soon so I just relax and run.  If I'm doing a short run say 5 miles or less.  I don't really have time to warm up before I'm thinking about the end.  My suggestion: run fewer days but longer runs.  In other words, run 10 miles 3 days a week rather than 5 miles 6 days a week.   You'll be better prepared for long runs and you'll have more healing time between runs.  I like it.  It also gives me time to do my important resistance training.

I'll run a bit shorter on Thursday, though.  I'm going to race on Sunday in Stowe and I want to be a little more rested.

No comments:

Post a Comment