Monday, May 31, 2010

VCM Rest & Recovery

Thank goodness for endorphins and Advil!    The endorphins lasted until late in the day.  Advil took over at about 1 am when I woke up in pain.    I loaded up on electrolytes which really helped and one Advil which helped me get back to sleep.

My workout his morning consisted of stretching, loosening up exercises, and more stretching.  45 minutes was all I could take.  I ate breakfast and headed to the golf course for some mental and physical therapy.  The walking really helps.  I felt much better by about hole number 4 (the birdie helped).  Plus it got mind off my physical pains.  The phone calls, e-mail, & facebook congrats really helped too.

I'm still sore as I write this tonight.  I have 4 blisters and tight calves and hamstrings and still some general fatigue but I'm better than I was this morning.  I've learned that, at my age (60), I need about a day for each half-hour of racing.  I'll be back to normal on Thursday.

It's all worth it!   The satisfaction of the accomplishment both personally and as part of the team was enormous.  It is difficult to explain to the uninitiated how rewarding it is to explore your personal physical, psychological, and emotional limits.  You really have to do it to understand.   Some things are beyond words. Racing long distance is one of them.   I can't wait to do it again.  And again.

I'm modifying my workout schedule this week for two reasons:  I have a golf tournament on Sat. & Sun. and my brother and relay partner wants to run on Friday.  It works perfectly.  Just stretching today and my resistance workout tomorrow (Tuesday) gives me enough leg rest to be able to do a light run on Wednesday. Resistance training, full and hard on Thursday (I'll be really eager for that) and then a 10 miler on Friday.

Then we'll begin our quest to get ready for the marathon in October.  I'm visualizing already.  

No comments:

Post a Comment