Sunday, May 2, 2010

VCM training: Payoff!

First race of the season, today.  Vermont Maple Festival Annual Sap Run.   It was brutally hot & sunny, mostly uphill, and into into a headwind.   It took its toll.  I overheated after an all-out effort in my last mile.

It took a couple gallons of cold water and some O2 to get me out of danger from hyperthermia.   Thank you very much to my brother (who also had a very good race) and my wife for helping me cool down.  And, thank you to the EMTs who were on hand to administer the oxygen.   I am extremely grateful. Although I'm pretty tired,  I'm feeling much better now.

Was it worth it?   Absolutely!  I finished 1st in my 60-69  age group.   And I finished 16th overall, which is a 16 place improvement over last year.    I'll recover.  

I hope it isn't this hot for the Vermont City Marathon.  If it is, we'll have to set our goal time sights a bit lower.  Still, I think we're in good shape (pun intended) with four weeks to go.

Focus on results.  That's what makes for effective training.

No comments:

Post a Comment