Thursday, May 20, 2010

Dealing With The Wind & A Big Decision

My plan for today was to run real easy as I taper off in preparation for the race.  There was a pretty good breeze coming out of the south and the 1st three miles of my usual course are either into the wind or perpendicular to the wind as well as uphill. The result of that was that I was working harder than usual and thinking maybe I'm not as fit as I had led myself to believe.  And then I turned north!   What a difference!  The tail wind made everything so much easier.  The rest of the way was a breeze (pun intended - LOL).  Even when I turned back into the wind I had eager legs.   It seems that the fitter I get the more I like a slow start and a strong finish.  I hope I can remember to do that on race day.

Anyway, I had a great run.  I never tire of this course.  It's a loop, which is my favorite.  Loops mean on windy days you'll have some relief.  Also, it's mostly up hill for the first 6 miles, which means a nice easy finish. And, it's easily modified for distance changes with plenty of bail-outs to shorten as well as easy add-ons to lengthen.

After our run on Sunday, my brother / best friend / training partner / relay partner hinted that he would like to run a marathon.  I've done it and wasn't too enthusiastic because of the training commitment.  But, he hasn't done one and I hate to deny him the experience.  We talked about running the Montreal Marathon in Septemer and I was thinking that might be a good choice.  However, I read an an article in an old Runner's World about an interesting marathon in Corning NY in October.  I talked to him about it and I looks like we have a race selected!   Yikes.    Looks like I've got a lot of training mile to run.   Should be fun!!

Summer's here.   I didn't post yesterday because after my morning workout, (it was a good one) I spent the day golfing, took a much needed nap (stayed up too late watching the Celtics squeak by the Magic) then went back to the course for the men's twilight league ( I won my match 6-3).  Golf again today.  I love summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment