Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Vermont City Marathon Training - Speed Work

Speed work sounds odd to me.  After all, I'm 60 years old and I've never been what anyone would call fast.  My limited success running foot races has always been about endurance.   Still, speed is relative to the individual and while what is fast for me might be ridiculously slow for someone else it is still important for me to do what ever I can to improve my version of speed.

So, today, I grabbed my stopwatch and headed for the track.  I ran 3 miles up the hill to the track to get warmed up.  Then it was a 1 mile just a bit faster than my anticipated race pace.  That was hard and made me realize that I still have a long way to go before race day.  Next, I ran a 3/4 mile a bit faster than that. Then a 1/2 mile a bit faster still.  And, still faster, 1/4 mile. Then, 1/8 mile even faster.  My legs are hurting now!  Finally, 100 yards all out.   Whew.

My times were disappointing.  I have a lot of work to do.  I have nearly 7 weeks to work on it.

I headed home, downhill, 3 miles to cool down.  It was harder than I thought.  But I got a some good training in.  My quads are protesting right now.   It's good for me.  Next week (once a week is the plan) I'll be faster.

6 weeks and 5 days to race day.   I'll be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment