Friday, April 30, 2010

Rested = Great workout

I'm over the fatigue.  It demonstrates the importance of sleep & rest.   As much as I love skiing (& I really do love it) it requires me to get up early (I'm talking 4:30 am) in order to get my workout in.  That means having enough discipline to go to bed early every night.  Therein lies the problem!  I don't mind early but 4:30 means I must be asleep no later than 9:30 and that's tough with basketball and good movies and especially time with my wife.

However, now that it's 'the off season', not only can I stay up a bit later, I can usually sleep in as long as want or need.   The means I'm really rested, more awake, and usually excited about an unhurried workout.  Today was a prime example.  It felt good and I was really enthusiastic about it.   Result: A really great workout, followed my a nice hot shower and (my fave) a leisurely breakfast!  Oh yeah, it helps that I'm retired.

It's late afternoon as I write this.  I've been to the golf course for some putting and chipping practice.  I've had my afternoon protein shake.  Best of all, I can still feel the pump from this morning's workout.  I'm excited about the rest of the spring and summer.  I'm can tell from my run yesterday and my workout today that my fitness is at a very good level.  The reflection (abs are nice!) in the mirror shows that, despite being 6 lbs heavier (I'm also stronger) than I was at the end of last year's racing season, I'm really lean.  As my level of activity (bike rides & longer training runs) and the intensity of my race training increase, I should get really, really cut.   I love that!

No comments:

Post a Comment