Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Weight gain

I've gained about 5 pounds in the last month!  I'm not sure why or how.   My eating habits are unchanged. However, I'm going to pay more attention to make sure I haven't been creeping in a few more calories.  It's interesting because although my weight has changed, I don't see any evidence of subcutaneous fat, i.e. my six-pack is still intact and that's where it would show up 1st.  It could be visceral fat but my pants are no snugger.  In fact, I put on my shorts from last summer for the 1st time this year.  The boys size 16 still fit perfectly.   So where is the weight?

It could be muscle I am a bit stronger.  I can tell because my pull-ups with an added 10 pounds have increased in number of reps.  I've been doing sit-up and reverse crunch/leg-ups with added weight.  So, my point is, it could be muscle.  I don't want to fool myself though by rationalizing.  My fat measuring scale said 4.5% tonight (that's low for me but it does vary a bit).   I could be fluid retention.  We've had a couple of new recipes and maybe my sodium intake is up a bit.  Although it seems unlikely that would add up to 5 lbs.   Or, it could be a combination of things.  

Time will tell.   This is the last busy week of skiing lessons, and we are really busy.  So next week, I'll begin running 3 days a week again.   That means more calories burned.   I'm not going to over-worry about it because I can be a little careful about diet and with the added running I'll settle into the summer routine and my weight will not be an issue.  Although my body fat may be.  I don't want to get below 4%  some essential fat is needed.   Two weeks from now I'll know if I need to make any adjustments.

I like the idea of more muscle on my frame.  I'm in wait and watch mode.    And curious.    

No comments:

Post a Comment