Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Logging and/or Journaling & PRs

I'm not sure why but (too) many years ago when I became enlightened about fitness and began running, I started logging my miles on a calendar.  I am still convinced that it is a really good idea.  For that reason, I recently began doing it again for all of my fitness activities.  As part of my logging, I make note of each time I set a PR (personal record) of any kind.

Why?   Well, 1st of all, I think keeping track helps me build and keep momentum.  2nd, it's just fun to look back and see what I did.  Not to mention the sense of accomplishment it provides.  3rd, it's very motivational.  Which brings me to PRs.  

Every PR I set gets noted.  Because of human nature (in me especially), PRs provide new targets. New targets make me work harder.  Working harder makes me fitter. My PRs don't just include a new fastest time or new high for pull-ups but even if I just get more calories burned on my stationary bike.

My latest focus is on pull-ups.  I have a love/hate relationship with my pull-ups.  I think they are a great exercise.  (More on that another day).   So, to track my progress, I note not only when I set a new high for reps in a set but also if I set a new high for total reps in a workout.  More targets, more accomplishments, more satisfaction, better fitness.  

Try it.  See if it works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment