Saturday, January 16, 2010

Listening to the body

Ran 10 miles this morning with my brother, John.   Great to be back on the road again.  It's hard to keep a regular road running schedule in the winter due to snow, extreme cold, shorter days, and a busy schedule skiing. I have been riding my stationary bike pretty hard for 90 minutes on Tues, Thurs, Sat, & Sun if I can't run so I am getting exercise but I can't help but worry about maintaining my fitness level.  Especially since I realize that biking is just not as intense as running.

Well, I got direct message from my body today!  We started out at about 9 am and I was quite pleased with how I felt (especially my legs).  However, after about 5 miles I began to feel a bit of fatigue that was unexpected (and unwelcome).   So, I began thinking that this fatigue was a result of having not getting enough road mileage lately and that I needed to resolve to run more despite the conditions.  Then, it hit me.  I had just had the hardest ski week ever!   Bumps and steeps all day (7 hours) all week!   Duh.  No wonder my legs & body were tired.  It makes a lot more sense.  Last year I was laid up with a kidney problem and hernia surgery and I had less trouble with my 1st 10 miler after much longer layoffs so it has to be the skiing.

I think I'll do what my grandson calls 'chillax' the rest of the day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment