Monday, December 28, 2009

Winter is here - big time

A pretty good snowstorm hit us today.   Snowed the whole time I was skiing.  I was really happy to have my new skis.  They're very nice in the powder and they held very nicely in the crud that was underneath the new snow.   Yesterday was very warm and rainy most of the day.   Today's snow is a godsend for the ski area.   But, it wasn't just the snowstorm that made it big time winter.  They're predicting a major cold snap sometime tomorrow.   They're talking single digit temps with 20 mph winds.  That's going to be bitter cold and real Vermont winter weather.  

 Part of me is hoping that no one shows up for lessons because it won't be much fun.  But, I'll be there because I signed up for it; good or bad.   It makes me stop and think about how happy I am to have my workout facility downstairs.  I am able to pedal my stationary bike no matter what the weather.

 I did an hour and a half yesterday.  I tried reading while I pedaled.   Interesting to me because I found I didn't pedal quite as intensely I didn't read nearly as fast as I usually do but, the time seemed to pass more quickly.   I'm undecided on whether I'll make it a regular part of my schedule.   Maybe I'll give it another go on a day like yesterday when I'm recovering from a hard run the day before or I'm just a bit tired.    I'm back on the bike tomorrow because today, Monday, is a resistance training day.  

Anyway, I enjoy winter despite the occasional intensely cold days.  It's very beautiful outside right now and the skiing will be good thanks to the new snow and the cold (which will enable some additional snowmaking). Plus the change of seasons gives me variety in my workouts and makes me really appreciate the beauty each new season brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment