Monday, December 21, 2009

Some Days Are Hard

Monday morning:  Up at 4:45 a.m. after a busy weekend.    I was unable to do my usual number of reps per set when I did my pull-ups.  My weight was up 2 lbs., probably from fluid retention due to too many olives yesterday! LOL!!  (We all have our weaknesses :-)).    It was bone-chilling cold at the mountain with wind blowing straight up the hill.

It would be easy to get demoralized on a day like this.  And, I admit my spirits were not as high as one of those days when I set a significant PR.   But hey,  we all have days that aren't the very best.

What to do?    We'll for me it's psychological compensation.   I made up for the pull-up failure by adding an extra set.   And, I did a harder leg workout.  (more on that another time.)

The weight thing always goes like this.   My normal weight range is 145 - 149.  I'm 5'9" and about 7-8% body fat.    I weigh myself everyday before breakfast #1.     When I get close to 149 I take immediate steps.  Meals get slightly smaller (especially the evening meal - we call it supper here in VT) and I drink extra water or unsweetened ice tea (to help flush the salt).   It usually fixes the problem in a day or two.    I've read the advise about weighing on only once a week.  But I want to see my weight every day.  First, I was fat (212) once and seeing the scale at sub 150 reminds me of what I've accomplished even after all these years.  Second,  I want to nip any issues in-the-bud!   Third,  I like having a 6-pack to look at and I ain't letting that get away from me.  I worked too hard to get it!

If you're trying to lose and you have a long way to go, maybe once a week is a good idea so you don't get discouraged by daily fluctuations.  However,  when you're maintaining,  I recommend every day.  Best time is ABBB (after bathroom, before breakfast).

Cold on the mountain is always tough to deal with but I've learned to layer up well and my jacket and pants have vents I can open.  Better (for me) to overdress a bit and vent than to freeze.  Handwarmers and toe warmers can be doubled up.   I wear boot gloves and a butt warmer.    So it wasn't terrible and when it warms up I'll really appreciate it.     You can't really appreciate a good fireplace unless you've been truly cold!  LOL.


Quote of the Day:

 "Running is real. It’s all joy and woe, hard as diamond. It makes you weary beyond comprehension, but it also makes you free." - Jesse Owens

No comments:

Post a Comment