Saturday, December 26, 2009

Happy To Be Back On The Road

Weather break!! Yay!   10 miles this morning outside on the road again.   It's been 2 weeks and I felt it a bit.  Because I am skiing during the week in the winter, I don't run on those days.   I won't run in the dark on the roads in the morning before I go skiing (too dangerous) and I'm usually too fatigued (especially mentally) in the afternoon from teaching skiing all day to run when I get home..  So, I pedal the stationary bicycle.   I actually think the break from summer's intensive training is good.  My body (especially my feet) gets a rest and I think the cross training is probably good for my overall health and fitness.  I know I'm working really hard when I pedal so I don't feel like I'm slacking!  (That's the compulsive behavior talking).  

Still it feels good to be outside running.   I'm  paying a bit of price with my feet for a poor decision though.   I put some YakTrax http://www.yaktrax.com/ on and I got a blister.   I'm not faulting the YakTrax; they're a life saver in the winter when it's icy. It's that the roads were really too dry to need them and I got a big blood blister on my left foot and a small one on my right foot.  I could feel the blisters developing as the run progressed.  

Oh well, this too will pass.   Besides the tremendous feeling of satisfaction and well being when I felt when getting ready to shower afterwards was more than worth it.  

Most discussion about exercise and fitness is about the physical effects.  I think the psychological effects may be just as beneficial.   I think my wife would agree as well.  LOL  Or, maybe she's just happy to have me out of her way for while.    Anyway,  my legs are not only my best doctors, they're my psychiatrists as well.  

I'll bike tomorrow and do my resistance training on Monday.  The blisters will be gone by next weekend & I'm hoping for some good weather.   So is my wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment