Sunday, December 13, 2009

Getting through the pain

Yes, I'm in pain.  Sore shoulder from over use.  Sore left calf from getting hit hard by the Sterling chairlift. Yesterday, I did 2 hours on the stationary bike.  Not much calf work or shoulder work involved in that, is there? It's easy to find excuses not to exercise. It takes determination to find a way to get it done.  I am reminded of the 1st sentence in one of my favorite quotations.  “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. ..."  Calvin Coolidge.     


We had a nice dinner with some friends last night.    It always make me feel good to be the fittest person in the room.   We had a nice meal but I managed my portions and choices.   One thing I really love about being fit is how good it feels.   Of course it takes time and energy but that's the motivation for eating properly.   Who wants to throw all that away.  No, nothing tastes so good as fitness feels.    Did I sacrifice a good time?  Of course not!  But I made good choices.   This time of year you will hear a lot of folks talking about all the food they eat during the holidays.  The truth is that if you eat properly between New Years Day and  Thanksgiving, you can get away with some (carefully managed) celebratory holiday eating.


This morning I got up with renewed enthusiasm.  It's amazing what momentum does.  Who wants to back up!  Not me. It was windy and chilly.  I still have a little pain in my calf but I can tell it's not too serious.   So I ran 10 miles.  Was it hard?  Sure,  running into a stiff head wind is hard.  But I got it done!!   Hard is what makes it great.   Now, I have all day to savor that feeling of accomplishment.


What did it take?   Less than 90 minutes of my day.   6.25% of the day!   Imagine that.   Such a small investment for such big returns!     


I'm chillin' now.  Pulse: 49  (still recovering).  Time for some football.

No comments:

Post a Comment