Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Momentum

What a day!  We just found out yesterday that our granddaughter wanted to come visit for the holidays.  That got us pretty excited and in the frenzy that followed a flight was found that got her to Boston a 5:00 this morning. So we got up at 12:15 a.m. for a quick breakfast and a long drive.  Pretty exciting stuff (but makes for a long day!).   The drive was a bit dicey at times due to snow on the roads in New Hampshire.  Fortunately, traffic was very light.  How many places can you drive 115 miles and only surpass 3 vehicles and have no vehicle surpass you?   Not many, I'm guessing. Our timing was nearly perfect. Her plane landed  just as we arrived at Logan. Except for an emergency-avoiding pit stop by me (LOL) the trip went well.   Caffeinated drinks helped keep me alert and we were back home by 9:30 am.   That's a lot accomplished that early in the day.

I was pretty tired when I got home and it would have been easy to jump in the sack and get some badly needed sleep.   But, I haven't missed a day of solid exercise since November 10th and knowing that was enough to get me downstairs pumping iron before my nap.

People often comment on my fitness or my physique and question me about my workout habits and routines.  Usually the conversation includes a comment from then that goes something like:  "I need to get started doing something."  

I think they're right. I really believe that getting started is the hardest thing about establishing an exercise regime (or any routine).   Once you get into an habitual routine it seems to me it's much easier to keep it going than it was to get it started.   We humans like ritual.   How many of us have our little 'morning coffee' routines?  Often our morning routines are so habitual we're on auto pilot.

Well, the same is true for an exercise regimen.   I admit to being a tad obsessive compulsive (my doctor laughed and said at least I picked a good thing to be OC about).   I use this 'disorder' to fuel my fitness.  I hate to miss days.  As a result, I find a way to fit it in.  Maybe that's why I like mornings.   I get it done and off my mind.  I want to keep my momentum going.

We can all use this knowledge of our human behavior and channel it into good habits.  It needn't be everyday (although that may work best for you as it does for me) but establishing a healthy routine that includes exercise   can help anyone build momentum that improves health and fitness.

I suppose you could argue you can carry this to far and turn it into something unhealthy.   I'm sure that's true so I encourage moderation and common sense.   But the truth is this: prudent use of momentum can be used to develop a healthy lifestyle.

Quote of the day:  A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world.  ~Paul Dudley White

No comments:

Post a Comment