Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Value of Training Partners

When I moved back home 4 years ago I was fortunate enough to be able to make a running connection with  my brother and my neighbor.   When everything goes according to plan we train together about once a week, usually on Saturday or Sunday.  Occasionally, we get lucky and are able to make our schedules coincide for a midweek run.

We all look forward to running together.  We run and race at different speeds but that doesn't dampen our enthusiasm one bit.  We always start our training runs together and after about 2 miles or so we'll run out of chit-chat conversation and begin to spread out depending on how we feel that day and of course our intrinsic ability.  But, ofttimes we'll have little, unspoken mini races within the training run, measuring ourselves against the others and our own standards. .  None of this would happen without the camaradery and encouragement of the others.  In other words, we push ourselves to run outside our normal comfort zone (in a fun way).  The friendly competition helps each of improve in ways that running solo doesn't.   We reconnect at the end of each run and have a thorough debrief as we cool down and stretch, talking about how we felt and congratulating one another

That's not to say that my solo runs aren't productive.  I work on my technique, run intervals and race up hills, all sound training techniques.  But, my training partners add another dimension to my training that's not only beneficial but a lot fun!  

Each of my training partners appreciates the value the others bring to our training regimen.  We're better runners and better racers because of  it.   We go to races together and cheer each other on.   Even though I'm  running alone more often than not, those guys help me.  We talk about our solo runs and encourage each other. Moreover, thinking about my upcoming runs with them often motivates me to push a little harder when I'm out by myself.

Another great thing about training partners is they'll get you out there when you might be thinking about missing that day.    Think about it:  your alarm goes off at 6 a.m. and just when you think "I'm too tired" or I'll go a bit later", you remember that your partner will be waiting.  That will get you up and on the road.   This is a terrific strategy for anyone trying to establish a training regimen.

So, what brought this subject up you're asking?   Well, my brother and training partner dropped by last night while I was watching the Celtics and sold me on entering some relay marathons next summer.  I'll run the first half and he'll run the second half.  We'll travel together with our wives and have some mini-vacations.  This gives us some real performance targets to focus our training on.   What a great idea.   We're all jacked up about this.  Plus, think of the motivation for solid training.   We'll be talking and thinking about that on each of our runs as we try to peak for these races.  How good is that?!

Add a new dimension to your running.  Find a training and racing partner and add some new fun to your work-outs.  You'll be all the better for it.  

Tie those shoes!

P.s.   I was up at 4:45 this morning and did 90 minutes on the stationary bike before I went skiing.  How'd you do today?

No comments:

Post a Comment