Monday, December 14, 2009

Ski Day - Getting Up Early

4:45 am is pretty early.   In order to get my workout completed in the morning and get to the ski area in time to take a warm-up run and be ready for the start of class at 10:00 am, I have to get up early.  I don't make a big deal out of it, but today one of my students asked me what time I had to get up in the morning.   I got the usual reaction when I told him:  shock and revolt.  Apparently, there is a real aversion out there to early rising.  

Maybe it's because I started delivering a morning newspaper when I was 11, but I don't really think it's so difficult getting up at a quarter to 5.   To me, 10 minutes after I get up, it doesn't really matter what time it is.  Five a.m. feels about the same as six a.m. after I've been up for 15 minutes.

I could sleep in another two hours and work-out when I get home from skiing.   However, it has been my experience that when I do that, I often experience obstacles to getting my workout completed.  You'll have to admit there aren't a lot of distractions at 5 O'clock in the morning!  LOL

I admit that I don't really feel very productive being in bed.  I like staying up in the evening and I like getting up early (usually about 6 even if I don't have anything urgent to do).   I also know that I need 7 - 7.5 hours sleep to keep my energy level high.   I really think the whole concept of getting up early is all about attitude.   I've said this many times and it's as true as ever:  it's easy to find excuses if you need one to avoid getting something done.

So, I got up at 4:45 a.m., had a light breakfast and got my workout done from 5:25 to 7:00.   Standing in the shower I was feeling rather satisfied with myself.   Breakfast (#2) tastes really good when I know I've had a good work-out.   An even bigger bonus is how much more ready I feel to start skiing.   Conditions weren't the best but I was warmed up, fit, and ready when I got there!

Everyone has a work-out time that works best for them but I highly recommend getting a head start on the rest of the world.  

Quote of the day:   "Somewhere, someone busier than you found the time to workout today."

No comments:

Post a Comment