Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Marathon Training - Rest Reward

I really like to go for my long run on Sunday.   It's a quieter day for traffic and my Sunday frame of mind is more relaxed.   That said, going long on Saturday had its benefits too.   I ran my 20 miler on Saturday because I was concerned about possible weather issues.  I had run in the rain a couple of weeks before and I was not eager to do it again.

My plan was to go for bike ride on Sunday.  However, while it didn't rain, it was quite windy.  Wind and bicycles do not a good partnership make.  Golf, too, is less fun in the wind.  I decided to 'work' rather than exercise.  It would be a nice gesture for my bride as well (never a bad thing).  I washed the kitchen floor and cleaned the refrigerator and freezer. It was a good project but I prefer running!  Then, we went 'tombstone finding' for people doing genealogical research.  I had a busy day, mostly fun, but didn't really exercise.  (sorry, but housework is work but doesn't qualify as exercise!)

My "rest day" was rewarding.   I had a great workout on Monday even though I had to split it up in order to participate in my Monday morning golf group.   Today, though, was the big payoff.  My morning 12 miler was was much easier than usual.  I ran hard a fast and it felt good.   Can it be that my 'old' body needs more rest time?  I think so.  I'll stick to 3 days a week (each) for running & for resistance training.  Thank you very much!! :)  AND I think the 7th day will be an easy day.  Rest is when we rebuild.  It takes more time when your my age.

No comments:

Post a Comment