Monday, September 27, 2010

Adirondack Marathon - Payoff!

All the hard work and training paid off handsomely yesterday at the Adirondack Marathon.

First of all, it's a beautiful place to run.   The events are very well run.  The amenities are terrific.  We got nice jackets.  All finishers get a nice medal.  The prizes are extraordinary; very special indeed.  Beautiful big carved bears for winners.  There were really nice (and unusual) metalworks for some places and elegant maple syrup bottles for others (filled of course!)   The setting is amazing.

We started right in the middle of the beautiful mountain village with lots of townfolks lining the streets and cheering for us.  The finish line was not far from the start and near their in-town beach right on gorgeous Schroon Lake.  The turnout of cheering supporters all along the course (at least on my half) was amazing.  As hard as I was working, I couldn't help but appreciate all the support including folks ringing cowbells and musicians to go along with the cheerers.

The foliage is at or near peak and the 2nd half is all along the lake so the scenery in unequaled.  It's truly a wonderful race.   I think the Key Bank VCM people could learn something from these folks who put on a marathon, a half-marathon, and a marathon relay all at the same time.  Not only that, but there was a 10K the day before and some sort of a fun run immediately before the marathon.  All of it was very well done.  We're already planning on returning next year.

Now for the "bad" news.   My partner and I were running the 2-person relay.  Ever magnanimous (LOL) I volunteered to run the "rolling hills" 1st leg of the relay.  Yikes!!  I've trained hard. I've done lots of hill work.  But, I got my butt kicked hard by these steep, long, and unending (it seemed) "hills" (felt like mountains to me!).   At least I had some downhills to recover on.  Still is was a wonderful experience.  My conditioning from all the hard training work paid off and I was able to recover quickly once I topped the hills and race pretty hard on the down sides.

In the end, I was able to give my partner a pretty good start and he took the ball (ankle strap sensor actually) and run (literally) with it.  And, even though our ages add up to 114 years (OMG!), we finished 3rd in the men's competition.  Not bad for a couple of gray beards.

I am paying for it today!  But it  hurts from the only hips down and only when I move!  LOL.   Actually, I'm feeling much better today although still a bit sore.   All I did for a workout this morning was warmups and light stretching.  I did play golf, but not very well and I'm pretty worn out now.  All worth it!!  Very rewarding.

I'll run short and slow tomorrow as I continue my recovery.    I love running and being fit!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment