Monday, August 23, 2010

Foiled (Fooled) Again

Every weather report was the same: rain all day today.   My golf match was surely canceled and I would be stuck indoors.  Got lemons? Make lemonade.  I thought I'd make the best of it and take the opportunity to sleep in a bit.  I bumped my cell phone alarm at 5 a.m. and rolled over feeling snug & smug.  I finally threw my legs over the edge of the bed at about 6:20 planning on a leisurely light breakfast with my Free Press before heading down stairs for a my workout.

My wife and puppy soon joined me and switched on the WCAX's  morning news & weather which quickly (about every 5 minutes, it seems) confirmed the gloomy forecast.  The only problem was that it wasn't raining outside my house!   When it still looked good at 7:30, I tuned my laptop onto www.wunderground.com and their live radar.  Lo & behold big rain clouds had passed us by and the smaller rain clouds were moving past us to the south.     There goes my morning workout but I'm off to the golf course.

As a creature of habit and routine I lamented missing my normal routine but I resolved to workout after golf.  So.. when I finished golf I came home and headed down to my home gym.  How would this go?

Way better than expected!   I was fully awake! I was already warmed up!   Routines went faster.  I wasn't quite as strong (after all, I ran 20 miles yesterday & had just walked 18 holes).  But, all-in-all it was a fun workout and I felt good.

Hmmm, maybe the old dog can learn a new trick.  I'll stick to my morning routine but... I'll be less daunted if I have to postpone again.     Heck, I might even do it on purpose someday soon.   I've heard that variety is the spice of life.    Can I really be thinking this?!

No comments:

Post a Comment