Sunday, December 26, 2010

Consistency

One of the things I like about teaching at Smuggs' is how they strive to keep students with the same instructor all week.  This week was a great example.  Several students were with me for 3 days or more.  Followers of this blog will know that this week was all about bumps.  It's very common for even high level skiers to be averse to skiing the bumps.  This week was exactly like that.  

My level 6 & 7 students were good skiers but reluctant to go into the moguls.  Everyone who spent at least 3 days with me this week is now confident and proficient in the bumps.  Oleg from NYC is the perfect illustration.  On day one, he was anxious and tentative in the Blue Square bumps on Friday for his final run with me we skied Black Diamond bumps & steeps and he did it very well.  

What a nice payoff.  

I took Christmas off but the opportunity to ski with my brother & my younger nephew made for a beautiful day on the mountain today.  The outlook was for cold but there was no wind and it was partly sunny, but it wasn't awfully cold (by our standards) and we stayed warm by skiing aggressively.  I have some tune-up work to do and I have sore thumb from skiing right out of my left ski but it was really a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment