Monday, January 24, 2011

Smugglers' Notch: Brrrr! but Good Snow.

 

Believe it or not the temp on the bank sign in Jeffersonville, when I drove by at 8:45 this morning, was -27 degrees Farenheit!   Now that is cold.  I'm thinking nobody will want to take a lesson in that weather and maybe I'll be heading back home in about 90 minutes.   But I bundled up with extra layers (I lost track of how many) including an extra parka and full face coverage so that no skin was expose and headed for line-up.

I'm down at The Village this week so that means some skiing to get there.  Normally that's a ride to the top of Madonna and some great skiing.   However, due to the extreme cold the M1 lift was closed (good idea!) so it was Meadowlark for me.

Did you know that when it gets really cold the snow isn't very slippery?  That makes for difficult ski skating and slow going on flat trails.  Meadowlark was more work than skiing this morning. That was the worst of it though.  The sun was shining and thankfully there was no wind.  Plus, the skiing was pretty good on the steeper trails.

That made it tolerable and 3 people showed for lessons including a couple of old friends.  We tried to work on sideslipping skills but it really wasn't slippy enough so we wisely spent our time on edging skills and improving balance for better carving.  Good progress was made by everyone.  Tomorrow should be better and give us a chance to hit some Blue Squares for the 1st time.

It was too cold for me to ski back to the big mountain and lunch so I opted for some warm rest instead.

After lunch it was a bit warmer, and I got to ski with Christopher & Mosat and we started right from the top of Morse and worked on getting our core into the right position through the shaping of the turn.  This allowed for better control, more confidence, and best of all more fun! With any luck we'll head to Sterling tomorrow!  Meanwhile I'm sitting next to the fireplace and sipping some hot tea as I attempt get my core up to something approaching warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment