Sunday, November 14, 2010

Fraternal Advice - Very Simple

My best and favorite training partner 'took me' for a ten mile training run this morning.  More the 'took me' later.
As is our habit, we had a nice visit during the first part of our run.  As we are both recovered over-eaters, our discussions are often about strategies for achieving and maintaining good health and fitness.  Mutual inspiration & motivation.

We're brothers, but our perspectives on things tend to vary a bit.  While I'm apt to take the hard line, he's a kinder, gentler person.  I need that kind of guidance, so I listen to what he has to say.   Today, he offered what I thought was an insightful approach to a healthier lifestyle for anyone wanting but having difficulty changing.

His observation that we take years to put on weight and get out of shape and then, try, unsuccessfully, to lose the weight and get into shape overnight is probably why many people give up.   His suggestion is to take a slower approach and have a little patience.  Just as you're unlikely to be able to run 10 miles right away, you're also unlikely to be successful making drastic changes in your diet.   He offers this approach:  Pick 10 things in your diet that you know are unhealthy and give them up, one per week, over a 10 week period.

It's a great way to pace yourself and make a bit of progress each week.   It makes a lot of sense.  We take years to add body weight so we should expect to take years to lose it.   Really, it won't take years.  A pound a month though seems easy enough and it still adds up to nearly 25 lbs over two years.  It's a really modest goal that shouldn't overwhelm anyone.  Chances are it's a goal that'll be easily reached.

Here's my suggestion for 10 things to stop eating with suggested substitutions:

1.  Sugary drinks.     Probably the country's number one contributor to obesity.

  • Substitutes:  Water, skim milk, diet tea.  Stay away from juices.
2.  Donuts.  Is there anything worse to put in your body?

  • 100% whole wheat English muffins,  fresh fruit, oatmeal (it takes only a minute)
3. French Fries.  They're as bad as donuts
  • Baked sweet potato fries, coleslaw, tossed salad, sautéed veggies.
 4. White Bread.  Yuk!  I can't believe people actually like this stuff.

  • 100% whole wheat bread.   It tastes better!  This should be easy.
5. White Pasta.
  • There are lots of 100% whole wheat pastas available at the supermarket now. They are great.
6. Potato Chips.   I know, they're delicious.  This one was tough for me.
  • Try a pickle with your sandwich or some low-fat cottage cheese.  
  • Trail mix (no candy in it) for your munchies.
7. Candy.  This one was easy.
  • Fresh fruit.  Available all year.  You'll wonder why you weren't eating more.  We live in apple country.
8. White Rice.  Yes, it tastes great but...
  • Brown rice.  You'll get used to it in a hurry and it's much better for you.  I like it better.
9. White Potatoes.   Yeah, I know they're low cal.  But high glycemic and that's not good.
  • Sweet Potatoes.  They're not just for the holidays.  Better for you.  Low glycemic.  
10. High Fat - High Sugar desserts.  Cakes, Pies, Cookie
  • I have to go with fruit.  Who eats enough fruit anyway?

So there you have it.  Do it;  all you have lose is body mass.


After our discussion, somewhere about 2 miles in we settled into our run.  Conversation dwindled.  He's recovering from an injury so I wasn't surprised when slowed a bit up the hill section.   I checked is progress when I made the big turn at 6 miles.  He was doing fine about 300 yards behind me.  I settled back into my stride and got lost in thought.   

The next corner is about a mile and half down the road and just before I got there, feeling yesterday's bike ride in my quads, I was slapped on the butt and told I was looking pretty good for an old timer.  

That was it.  The race was on and we proceeded to run each other into the dirt.  Brothers!  You gotta love 'em.   My quads are complaining but I'll bet he's paying too.     Thank you, brother.  I love ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment