Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Back On The Road

It has now been more than 2 weeks since I ran my marathon.  I waited a week before running again.  Not enough!  Although I was able to run 6 miles, my old joints protested.  I had taken a taken it pretty easy just playing golf, doing light resistance training workouts, and easy half-hour pedals on my stationary bike.  I needed another week of much the same.

My resistance training began to progress as my strength returned. (marathon running takes a lot out you!) My stationary bike rides became a bit more intensive as I lfelt to my body renew itself.  So, when the 2 week mark came around I felt ready for a nice slow run.  It was time.

I called my two favorite training partners and we started off nice and slow.  Starting out with a nice easy pace was the ticket.  Once my muscles got nice and warm, I was able to pick it up and actually ran pretty hard for the last 2 miles.  What a relief.  It felt good to run again.    

Today was little different.  I thought I might go 8 miles but decided to curtail it and ran 7 instead (it's nice to have a course that allows that).  I think my exuberance on Sunday might have been premature and my right knee was a bit sore.  I'll take an Advil today and go a little easier on Thursday.   Soon I'll be skiing and able to run only on weekends and then only when weather and road conditions permit, so I'll have plenty of time to heal.   I like seasonal running.   Soon, I'll be doing more stationary bike riding and lots of skiing.

Cross training is good for the body (especially old ones like mine!).  I must admit, however, as much as I'm looking forward to skiing this winter, I'm already looking at next year's racing schedule.   I'm undecided about running another marathon but I'm certainly going to run some half-marathons.  Can I improve my times?  We'll see.    

No comments:

Post a Comment