Sunday, February 14, 2010

Motivation rules - 10 miles this morning

We received notification that our relay team has been accepted for the Vt City Marathon relay!  That means renewed motivation to get into race shape.   This morning's weather was just warm enough and the roads were dry enough so I ventured out for a trial run (it has been several weeks of indoor biking) not knowing how my body would react.   The wind was gusty but mostly pretty tolerable.  Except for cold feet at the start and cold thumbs at the end I held up rather well.

One of the things I really love about running is the uninterrupted thinking time that it provides.  Thinking about the upcoming race not only got me out the door (the stationary bike & HDTV in the warm basement was tempting) but it helped keep me focused on the task at hand.  It also got me thinking about fitness motivation and why I run  and work out.   There are so many good reasons to stay fit.  The upcoming race is just one.  But it is a good one and it was all I needed today.

No comments:

Post a Comment